The Japanese movie website Eiga reported on Bunka Tsushinsha’s top 10 highest grossing Japanese domestic and foreign movies of the year 2022, in which anime movies like One Piece Film Red, Jujutsu Kaisen 0 have earned more than Hollywood movie Top Gun Maverick.
The list and earnings are as of on December 25.
The Japanese movies list consists of 4 anime movies, 1 live action movie based on a manga and one tokusatsu movie. Wherein, the 4 anime movies’ earned a combined total of 52.36 billion yen (~USD 395 million).
This is an increase of 88.1% compared to last year’s top 4 anime movies.
Top 10 Highest-Earning Japanese Films Of 2022:
- One Piece Film Red: 18.78 billion yen (about US$141.6 million, as of December 25)
- Jujutsu Kaisen 0: 13.8 billion yen (about US$104.1 million)
- Suzume no Tojimari: 10.0 billion yen (about US$75.4 million, as of December 25)
- Detective Conan: The Bride of Halloween: 9.78 billion yen (about US$73.8 million)
- Kingdom 2: Haruka Naru Daichi e: 5.16 billion yen (about US$38.9 million)
- Shin Ultraman: 4.44 billion yen (about US$33.5 million)
- 99.9 Keiji Senmon Bengoshi The Movie: 3.01 billion yen (about US$22.7 million)
- Yomei 10-nen: 3.0 billion yen (about US$22.6 million)
- Chinmoku no Parade: 2.97 billion yen (about US$22.4 million, as of December 11)
- Confidence Man JP Eiyūhen: 2.89 billion yen (about US$21.8 million)
Top 10 Highest-Earning Hollywood movies in Japan in 2022
- Top Gun Maverick: 13.5 billion yen (about US$101.9 million)
- Jurassic World Dominion: 6.32 billion yen (about US$47.7 million)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: 4.6 billion yen (about US$34.7 million)
- Minions: The Rise of Gru: 4.44 billion yen (about US$33.5 million)
- Spider-Man: No Way Home: 4.25 billion yen (about US$32.1 million)
- Sing 2: 3.31 billion yen (about US$25.0 million)
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: 2.16 billion yen (about US$16.3 million)
- Venom: Let There Be Carnage: 1.91 billion yen (about US$14.4 million)
- The Matrix Resurrections: 1.4 billion yen (about US$10.6 million)
- Thor: Love and Thunder: 1.35 billion yen (about US$10.2 million)
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 1.3-1.4 billion yen (about US$9.8-10.6 million)
During the Jump Festa 2023, the voice cast of One Piece Film Red revealed that the movie has earned more than 18.5 billion yen at the Japanese box office and that they are proud of it.
Jump Festa 2023 was held on December 18th at Makuhari Messe (Mihama Ward, Chiba City) and was the second day of the event.
Variety news reported that the One Piece Film Red movie earned USD 7.9 million in the US. Whereas, the movie has earned USD 991 million dollars in South Korea.
The movie released in China on December 1 and on November 30 in South Korea. It earned RMB56 million (US$7.9 million) in China whereas in South Korea it earned USD 566,000 over their respective opening weekends.
The movie has sold tickets summing up to 119,039.
The movie also continued its successful marathon in Japan by earning 18 billion yen in its 93 days run.
The exact total it earned in the above 3 days in the US is 75,15,251 USD. It is a 574% increase in revenue compared to the franchise’s previous movie One Piece Stampede. The Stampede movie earned a total box office revenue of $13,85,571.
In Japan, the movie has garnered a footfall of approximately 13 million people.
The movie is said to be earning well in European market as well as Australian market.
The EMEA Community Marketing Manager of Crunchyroll, René Kayser, posted an update on LinkedIn stating that the One Piece Film Red has garnered over 100,000 attendees on its first day and is at the top of the movie rankings in Germany.
He further stated that the movie might surpass Jujutsu Kaisen 0 movie at the German box office. This is considering that the Jujutsu Kaisen 0 movie had the biggest anime movie opening in Germany in last 15 years.
The movie opened in Japan on Aug 6, 2022, collecting over 2 billion yen in its first weekend.
On Aug 11, PVR cinemas placed standees across multiple theatres in Mumbai revealing that One Piece Film Red will release in India in October 2022.
Crunchyroll had announced on their official website on Sep 12, 2022, that they will be bringing One Piece Red Film to theatres in U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand this November.
The release dates for the regions were as follows:
- Australia: Nov 3, 2022
- New Zealand: Nov 3, 2022
- United States: Nov 4, 2022
- Canada: Nov 4, 2022
Goro Taniguchi returns to the franchise for the first time since 1998 to direct One Piece Film: Red. Tsutomu Kuroiwa will be in charge of the screenplay. TOEI Animation is animating the film with original author Eiichiro Oda serving as executive producer.
The other staff that have been announced for the movie include:
- Character Design & Animation Director: Masayuki Sato
- CGI Director: Kentaro Kawasaki
- Art Director: Hiroshi KatoMusic: Yasutaka Nakata
- Director of Photography: Tsunetaka Ema
- Color Design: Sayako Yokoyama.
The movie features and centers on the mysterious character Uta, who is teased to be Shanks daughter in the teaser. Uta is voiced by Kaori Nazuka (voice cast) and Ado (singing cast).
Crunchyroll describes the movie as:
Uta —the most beloved singer in the world. Renowned for concealing her own identity when performing, her voice has come to be described as “otherworldly.” Now, for the first time ever, Uta will reveal herself to the world at a live concert. As the venue fills with all kinds of Uta fans—excited pirates, the Navy watching closely, and the Straw Hats led by Luffy who simply came to enjoy her sonorous performance—the voice that the whole world has been waiting for is about to resound. The story begins with the shocking fact that she is Shanks’ daughter.