Super Saiyan God remains shrouded in mystery for fans ever since the red haired form was first introduced in the movie “Battle of Gods”. The God of Destruction of Universe 7, Beerus, had a premonition that an arch rival called the “Super Saiyan God” would appear soon. When he learnt from Whis that the most fearsome devil “Frieza” was defeated by a Saiyan, his curiosity about the Saiyans increased.
Beerus and Whis decided to meet the Saiyans of Earth to see if they had any idea of the Super Saiyan God. However, a feel of disappointment entered his mind as Beerus did not get the answer he was looking for.
Due to some bitter experiences (thanks to Majin Buu), Beerus decided to destroy the Earth. That is when Goku arrived and summons Shenron to ask him about the Super Saiyan God. With the help of five of his Saiyan friends and family infusing power into him, Goku acquired this form in order to stop Beerus from destroying the Earth. Although Goku was the first to achieve the Saiyan God form amongst the Z Warriors, he wasn’t the first Saiyan to achieve this feat.
The Identity of the first Super Saiyan God
The Saiyan named Yamoshi was the first person in Universe 7 Saiyan history to achieve both the Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God transformations. There are a couple of evidence for this:
- The legend of Yamoshi was first revealed by Toriyama in an interview:
Q: Was the “legendary Super Saiyan” Frieza feared the Super Saiyan God that appeared in Battle of Gods?
A: In a certain sense, they are the same person. Long ago, before Planet Vegeta was the Saiyans’ planet, there was a man named Yamoshi who had a righteous heart despite being a Saiyan. He and his five comrades started a rebellion, but he was cornered by combatants and became a Super Saiyan for the first time, though his transformation and fearsome fighting style shocked the other Saiyans. Outnumbered, Yamoshi eventually wore himself out and was defeated, but this was only the beginning of his legend. Afterwards, Yamoshi’s spirit wandered in continuous search of six righteous-hearted Saiyans, seeking a new savior: Super Saiyan God.Akira Toriyama, Saikyō Jump, January 2018 Issue
- In the Battle of Gods movie, Shenron narrates the tale of the first Super Saiyan God:
- Long ago, in Planet Vegeta, the savior – A Super Saiyan God was created by chance by a handful of righteous Saiyans. These righteous Saiyans questioned the evil acts of their fellow Saiyans, and led a revolt against them. This savior had immense power, and dispatched the evil Saiyans in no time at all.
- But shortly thereafter, the savior vanished as quickly as he came, as the energy the Saiyans offered him did not last for long. In time, Planet Vegeta became a world of evil Saiyans once again, and the memory of the Super Saiyan God became a myth. It was nearly lost altogether. However, that legend was preserved in the Namekian Book of Legends, which included the way to summon the Godly form.
Inconsistencies in narration:
The above set of stories have gaping holes in their explanation. Yamoshi is mentioned only as the first Super Saiyan. In Toriyama’s version it is mentioned that his spirit wandered in search of five righteous Saiyans. This means that he is still yet to achieve the God form after he was slain as a Super Saiyan. In Toriyama’s story, Super Saiyan Yamoshi was cornered and defeated. In Shenron’s story, the Super Saiyan God overpowered the evil Saiyans.
These inconsistencies sparked confusion in the minds of the fans. Theories started floating in the social media that Yamoshi wasn’t the first Super Saiyan God mentioned in Shenron’s story. It could have been someone else, an unknown Saiyan, whom we’ve yet to encounter. That may be a possibility but, I still think that Yamoshi is both the Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God mentioned in both the stories.
Rectifying the timelines in Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God story:
To reconcile the above two stories for their apparent inconsistencies, the following theory is proposed:
- Long ago in Planet Sadala (the original planet of the Saiyans), Yamoshi and his five comrades fought against the evil Saiyans. Even after transforming into a Super Saiyan for the first time, Yamoshi and his comrades were defeated and killed. His spirit lingered on with the desire to gain more power to eradicate the evil within the race.
- Years later, Yamoshi and his five comrades are reincarnated amongst the Saiyans in Planet Vegeta. As the six warrior’s spirits withheld the same mindset and desires as before, they once again started a rebellion against the evil Saiyans. With no other option left to defeat them, Yamoshi instructed the group of five pure-hearted Saiyans to infuse their powers into him. This ended Yamoshi’s search for a savior as he became one himself – A Super Saiyan God.
- After dispatching the evil Saiyans, he died because his body couldn’t withstand the huge amount of power surging inside of him. This makes sense as he wasn’t even a Super Saiyan in this life. His comrades also died probably due to over exhaustion from transferring their power to Yamoshi. In their absence, evil took root in Planet Vegeta once again.
This theory matches with the locations in which the two stories took place. Toriyama said his story took place before the Saiyans occupied planet Vegeta, meaning it took place in Sadala. And Shenron’s story took place in Planet Vegeta. It is also reconciles what Toriyama said about both the Super Saiyan and the Super Saiyan God being, in a sense, the same person. Yamoshi became the first Super Saiyan and in his next life, became the first Super Saiyan God.
According to Toriyama, the answer to how Beerus got the premonition of the Super Saiyan God, is that Beerus probably picked up on information about Yamoshi’s spirit in his prophetic dream. He further added that the Namekian Elder of that time recorded the legend in the Namekian Book of Legends because he sympathized with Yamoshi’s spirit.
In chapter 4 of Dragon Ball Super Manga, Goku says something rather peculiar:
Could it be that Yamoshi’s spirit still lingers on and is communicating to the future holders of the Super Saiyan God power?
It is theorized by many fans that Yamoshi might be a distant ancestor of Vegeta as both of them look very similar to each other. This possibility might be the reason how Vegeta was able to achieve the Super Saiyan God form and master it quite easily compared to Goku. What if Vegeta shares the same Bloodline and traits as Yamoshi? Of course, it is also possible that Yamoshi could be a common ancestor to both Goku and Vegeta, but it is fun to speculate on various possibilities.
What do you think about Yamoshi? Who do you think is the first Super Saiyan God, if not Yamoshi? Do you find our reasoning accurate? Let us know in the comments below!