@WSJ Oricon revealed in a tweet on Dec 12, 2021, that Eiichiro Oda‘s One Piece, Koyoharu Gotouge‘s Demon Slayer, and Hajime Isayama‘s Attack On Titan mangas has topped the Oricon’s Best Selling Manga List.
The top 10 list was created based on the manga sales of series starting from the year 2008 to Nov 21, 2021.
Here are the top 3 best-selling mangas by series :
- 1. One Piece: 215,392,563
- 2. Demon Slayer: 126,586,331
- 3. Attack on Titan: 78,091,099
The other mangas ranked in the Top 10 and beyond are:
- 4. Kingdom: 54,560,220
- 5. Haikyu!!: 49,752,786
- 6. Naruto: 46,433,985* (as of 2005)
- 7. Jujutsu Kaisen: 39,445,785
- 8. My Hero Academia: 38,019,355
- 9. Seven Deadly Sins: 33,532,282* (as of 2020)
- 10. Fairy Tail: 34,096,779* (as of 2018)
- 11. Bleach: 32,810,557* (as of 2016)
- 12. Kimi ni Todoke: 30,346,327* (as of 2018)
Despite being relatively new when compared to other series in the list, Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen‘s widespread popularity helped them to cement places in the top 10. The latter might still go up a few places based on current trends.
Tokyo Ghoul sold 14,833,901 copies (As of 2017) and Tokyo Ghoul: Re sold 16,608,497 copies (As of 2018), which results in a combined sale of a total of 31,442,398 copies, they but did not make it to the Top 10 since they are listed as separate series.
According to WSJ Oricon, Naruto and Bleach had their peak selling period from 2005-2007. However, Oricon started tracking manga sales in 2008.
In November, Oricon released its yearly sales data from last year, including the franchise sales numbers as well as the top individual manga volume numbers.