Viz Media has some exciting news for all the aspiring manga artists out there!
Taking to Twitter, the publisher revealed that they will be returning to Anime Expo 2023 to meet up with aspiring manga artists, as a part of their portfolio reviews.
Adding to the excitement, they also revealed that former Shonen Jump editor-in-chief Hisashi Sasaki, who was also the editor of Rurouni Kenshin manga, has joined the team of editors at Anime Expo, thereby providing budding manga artists with an exciting opportunity to get their portfolios reviewed by a legendary figure in the industry.
“If you’re a creator inspired by manga techniques and would like feedback and guidance on your work, we would love to see samples of your sequential art that highlight dynamic paneling, skillful black-and-white artwork, and compelling storytelling,” VIZ Media stated.
Moreover, it will be an in person portfolio review, so the registration to Anime Expo must be obtained beforehand.
Registrations for portfolio reviews with Hisashi Sasaki and other esteemed editors are now open. Interested participants can now fill out the form linked here to secure the slots. It is important to note that availability is limited, so early registration is highly recommended.
Submissions will close June 26, 2023 at 5 pm PST. Those selected will be notified by June 29, 2023.
Viz Media has also revealed the portfolio guidelines that participants must follow. Check it out below:
- Samples of sequential works that best highlight your art style and storytelling
- Best works that showcase composition, character expressions, and scene details
- Include finished pieces, not only sketch or concept work
- Include original character art pieces – some fan work is okay
- Samples of sequential works that best highlight your writing and story ideas
- List your creative writing work – prose and fan work is okay
- VIZ Originals can only consider writing samples in English at this time
Anime Expo 2023 will take place from July 1-4 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.