The official website of VFX-Japan awards revealed the winners from all seven categories of the “VFX-JAPAN Award 2022” on March 3, 2022.
Mamoru Hosoda’s Belle which released in 2021 won the Grand Prize in the Animated Feature Film category. Produced by Studio Chizu, the movie employed both hand-drawn and CG parts. The VFX used in the film, mainly for scenes set in a virtual space, were handled by Digital Frontier.
The Grand Prize in the CG category for TV/Distributed Program Animation was snapped up by Godzilla Singular Point. The CG part of the anime was handled by Orange.
The complete list of winners are given below;
- Rurouni Kenshin: The Final & Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning (Theatrical release live-action movie category)
- Belle (Animated Feature Film category)
- Alice in Borderland Season 1 (TV / distribution program VFX category)
- Godzilla Singular Point (TV / Distribution Program Anime CG category)
- Shinjuku east exit cat (CM / Promotion Video category)
- The Duel from Star Wars: Visions (Short film category)
- Toyota Corolla Cross TV commercial (Leading visual effects department)
The winners of VFX Japan Award were decided by a voting process. Corporate members, individual members, directors and special members took part in the voting.
VFX-Japan had previously announced a total of twenty works that were selected across seven categories for the “VFX-Japan Award 2022” on Jan 31, 2022. Only works that were released in the year 2021 were eligible to be nominated for the awards.
The VFX-JAPAN Award was established in 2013, and this year’s awards marked its 10th installment. However, the ceremony and reception was not carried out due to COVID-19 restrictions. The VFX-Japan award aims to celebrate and recognize the best VFX and CG works in the fields of live-action film, video games, commercials, animated film and television.
Source: VFX-Japan official website