Publishing giant Kodansha announced on May 11, 2022, that the popular mangas That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime and Police In A Pod have won the 46th Kodansha Manga Awards.
The Kodansha manga awards have three categories, namely the Shonen, Shojo and general.
Winning the Shonen category is Fuse‘s That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime manga adaptation by Taiki Kawakami. The Shojo category was won by Rikichi‘s Nina the Starry Bride manga series. Followed by the final prize handed out in the General category to Miko Yasu‘s Police in a Pod.
Winners will receive a certificate, a bronze statue, and a prize of 1 million yen.
14 manga were shortlisted for the 46th Kodansha Manga Awards.
The following manga were shortlisted in the best Shonen manga category;
- Miki Yoshikawa’s A Couple of Cuckoos (Weekly Shonen Magazine)
- Rina Hard & Ryosuke Fuji’s Shangri-La Frontier (Weekly Shonen Magazine)
- Kanehito Yamada & Abe Tsukasa’s Sousou no Frieren (Weekly Shonen Sunday)
- Fuse, Yasuki Kawakami, Mitz Vah’s That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Monthly Shonen Sirius)
The mangas that were shortlisted in the best Shojo category are as follows;
- Mika Yamamori’s Uruwashi no Yoi no Tsuki (Dessert)
- RIKACHI’s Nina of the Starry Kingdom (BE. LOVE)
- Suu Morishita’s A Sign of Affection (Dessert)
- Rito Kohsaka & Akumi Agitogi’s My Happy Marriage (Gangan Online)
And for the general category, the following six manga were shortlisted;
- Aka Akasaka and Mengo Yokoyaroi’s Oshi no Ko (Weekly Young Jump)
- Misaki Takamatsu’s Skip and Loafer (Monthly Afternoon)
- Uoto’s Chi.: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite (Weekly Big Comic Spirits)
- Miko Yasu’s Police in a Pod (Morning)
- Uoyama’s Yankee-kun and the White Cane Girl (Manga Hack)
- Asukia Konishi’s Yakuza Fiance: Raise wa Tanin ga ii (Afternoon)
The Kodansha Manga Award, sponsored by publishing giants Kodansha, is an annual award for serialized manga published in the previous year.
Muneyuki Kaneshiro and Yūsuke Nomura’s Blue Lock won the best shonen manga in the 45th Kodansha Manga award (2021). Megumi Morino’s A Condition Called Love won the best shojo manga and Kiwa Irie’s Yuria Sensei no Akai Ito won the best manga in the general category.
Kodansha Manga Awards began in 1977, with categories for shōnen and shōjo. The first award for the general category was in 1982. Kodansha introduced a children’s category award in 2003. However, it was merged into the shōnen and shōjo categories starting in 2015.
Source: Comic Natalie