Makoto Shinkai’s latest anime film, Suzume no Tojimari, has earned 6.26 billion yen (~ over USD 45 million) in 17 days at the Japanese Box Office.
The highest grossing anime movie of Makoto Shinkai was Kimi No Nawa/Your Name which was released in 2016 and had earned 41.4 billion yen, globally.
Out of the 6.26 billion yen, over 842 million yen (~ USD 6.1 million) was collected in the movie’s third weekend alone, from 612,000 tickets sold. It continued to stay at number 1 at the Japanese Box Office.
Suzume No Tojimari released on Nov 11, 2022 in Japan and earned 1.88 billion yen in 3 days mobilizing 1.33 million people.
This was the highest ever opening for a Makoto Shinkai movie.
Shinkai directed and wrote the screenplay for Suzume no Tojimari. He’s also the author of the original story.
Other staff members of the movie include:
- Character design: Masayoshi Tanaka
- Animation director: Kenichi Tsuchiya
- Art director: Takumi Tanji
- Studio: CoMix Wave Film
- Production producer: STORY inc.
- Distribution: Toho Animation
It was previously revealed that Nanoha Hara will voice Suzume and Hokuto Matsumura will voice Souta Munakata.
Cast of the film includes:
- Eri Fukatsu as Tamaki Iwato, Suzume’s aunt
- Matsumoto Hakuō II as Hitsujirō Munakata, Sota’s grandfather
- Shōta Sometani as Minoru Okabe, Tamaki’s colleague
- Sairi Itō as Rumi Ninomiya, Single mother raising twins, who Suzume encounters in Kobe
- Kotone Hanase as Chika Amabe, a lively girl of the same age as Suzume, whom she meets in Ehime
- Kana Hanazawa as Tsubame Iwato, Suzume’s mother
- Ryunosuke Kamiki as Tomoya Serizawa, a friend of Souta
RADWIMPS and Kazuma Jinnouchi composed the music for film, with Tik tok famed Toaka performing the theme song, “Suzume”.
Suzume No Tojimari film’s soundtrack comprises of two theme songs, “Kanata Haruka” and “Suzume,” twenty five additional songs and a brand new song created during the film’s production by Yojiro Noda, called “Tamaki”. RADWIMPS also released the official music video for KANATA HALUKA.
Crunchyroll also announced on May 19, 2022, that it will distribute Makoto Shinkai’s latest anime movie, Suzume no Tojimari, worldwide (excluding Asia) from early 2023.
The officially announced story of Suzume no Tojimari is described as:
Suzume is a 17-year-old, who lives in a quiet town in Kyushu. One day, she meets a traveling young man who is looking for a “door.” Suzume decides to follow him and discovers an old door in the ruins in the mountains. As if drawn by something, Suzume reaches out for the door… What follows is Suzume’s liberation and growth as she closes the “doors” that cause misfortune in abandoned places around Japan.