The official Twitter account of Netflix Japan revealed two teaser videos on Aug 19, 2023, providing fans with glimpses of the exchange that took place between the streaming platform and One Piece manga creator Eiichiro Oda, leading up to the creation of the One Piece Live- Action series.
The dialogue between the two went on for seven years, and excerpts from it were revealed in the two teaser videos, one each for Oda and Netflix. Check the statements out below:
To Netflix from Eiichiro Oda
- We need to consider the worst-case scenario.
- I can’t say something is good when it isn’t.
- This is very good, but we can do even better.
- The fans trust me. So I can’t lie to them.
- We actually found our real-life Luffy. I’m shocked.
- I’m touched by the love of ONE PIECE sprinkled through out every frame.
Eiichiro Oda had previously stated that the live-action series won’t be launched until he was satisfied.
To Eiichiro Oda from Netflix
- A 1:1 re-enactment is impossible.
- Live-action adaptation isn’t about replication. It’s expression.
- We’re not at all satisfied yet, either.
- We want to rewrite the history of live-action adaptations.
- We have two goals. To not betray the fans. And to have the show be loved by those who don’t yet know ONE PIECE.
The dialogue between the two eventually boiled down to creating “something great”.
The whole dialogue between the two will be released sequentially starting from Aug 25, 2023, titled “Live-Action ‘ONE PIECE’ Voyage of Records“. This includes discussions ranging from the project’s inception, casting decisions, and impressions after viewing the completed version.
One Piece live-action will release on Aug 31, 2023, exclusively on Netflix.
The One Piece live-action cast includes Iñaki Godoy, who portrays Monkey D. Luffy, Emily Rudd as Nami, Mackenyu as Roronoa Zoro, Jacob Romero Gibson as Usopp, and Taz Skylar will play Sanji. Colton Osorio will portray a young Luffy.
Furthermore, Peter Gadiot will play Shanks, Morgan Davies as Koby, Ilia Isorelýs Paulino as Alvida, Aidan Scott as Helmeppo, Jeff Ward as Buggy, McKinley Belcher III as Arlong, and Vincent Regan as Garp.
The other cast members include:
- Alexander Maniatis as Klahadore
- Steven Ward as Mihawk
- Craig Fairbrass as Chef Zeff
- Langley Kirkwood as Captain Morgan
- Celeste Loots as Kaya
- Chioma Umeala as Nojiko
The live-action will be adapting the East-Blue Saga from the One Piece manga and then “broaden from there”. Matt Owens will serve as the upcoming show’s writer, while Steven Maeda and Becky Clements will be executive producers along with Eiichiro Oda.
The soundtrack for the live action, titled “Wealth, Fame, Power,” is composed by Sonya Belousova and Giona Ostinelli, best known for their work on “The Witcher“.
Netflix will exclusively stream the series, produced by Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein and ITV Studios.
The live action adaptation was under production in South Africa since Feb 1, 2022.