Book Live, a digital bookstore of Toppan Printing Co., Ltd., announced on Tuesday, Feb 8, 2022, through a press release that 17 nominees have been selected for the “Magademy Award 2021” in four categories. The categories are Best Leading Actor, Best Leading Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Supporting Actress.
The complete list of nominees for each category are:
“Best Leading Actor” nominees:
- Eren Yeager (Attack on Titan)
- Sakamichi Onoda (Yowamushi Pedal)
- Totonou Kunou (Do Not Say Mystery)
- Mutta Nanba (Space Brothers)
- Bojji (Ranking of Kings)
“Best Leading Actress” nominees:
- Hayame Katsuragi (Promise Cinderella)
- Yoi Takiguchi (In The Clear Moonlight Dusk)
- Frieren (Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End)
- Mao Mao (The Apothecary Diaries: The Palace Cloister Mystery-Solving Notebook of Mao Mao)
- Yona (Yona of The Dawn)
“Best Supporting Actor” nominees:
- Toru Amuro (The Detective Conan)
- Kage (Ranking of Kings)
- Manjiro Sano (Tokyo Revengers)
- Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan)
“Best Supporting Actress” nominees:
- Yoko Sato (The Fable)
- Yua Takahashi (Tomorrow I Will Be Someone’s Girlfriend)
- Shinobu Wakamiya (Chihayafuru)
The nominations were selected through online voting from Dec 9, 2021, to Jan 5, 2022. People were allowed to nominate any character that appeared in any manga (print and digital) in Japan from Dec 1, 2020, to Nov 20, 2021.
Furthermore, Kendo Kobayashi, a Japanese comedian who has a love for manga, will appear as special head of the judging committee for this year. The winners will be announced on Mar 16, 2022.
The Magademy Awards aims to express gratitude and respect for manga characters, develop a ‘culture of praise for characters’ that transcends the boundaries of companies and positions, and assist their further progress.
“The purpose of this award is to honor the characters that give us courage, inspiration, and richness every day. Until now, there have been many awards to honor manga works, but there has never been an award to honor manga characters by everyone,” the press release writes.