Warner Bros. Japan announced on Thursday, Feb 3, 2022, that manga BASTARD!! –Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy- will be adapted into an anime that will premiere globally on Netflix in 2022.
The official website and Twitter account of the upcoming anime is available now. Details about cast, crew, and visuals of the same were also unveiled.
The cast includes Kisho Taniyama as protagonist Dark Schneider, Tomori Kusunoki as Tia Noto Yoko, Hiroki Yasumoto as Gara, and Yoko Hikasa as Arshes Nei.
The staff was also announced as the following:
- Director: Takaharu Ozaki (GOBLIN SLAYER, Girls’ Last Tour)
- Series Composition: Yosuke Kuroda (My Hero Academia, Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
- Character Design: Sayaka Ono (CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon)
- Sound Director: Yasunori Ebina (Naruto Shippuden, Promare)
- Music: Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Shippuden, Fairy Tail)
- Producer: Warner Bros. Japan
- Animation Production: LIDEN FILMS
The first trailer of the anime will be released during a special program online on YouTube and bilibili on Feb 10 at 8:00 p.m. JST featuring the cast and director.
Bastard!!: Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Kazushi Hagiwara. It began its serialization in Shueisha’s Weekly Shōnen Jump in 1988, and has continued irregularly in Ultra Jump since 2000, with its latest chapter released in 2010.
Twenty-seven collected tankōbon volumes have been released as of 2012. The manga was formerly licensed for English release in North America by Viz Media; only the first nineteen volumes were released.
The manga was adapted into a six-episode original video animation (OVA) series by AIC, released from 1992 to 1993. The OVA was released in North America by Pioneer in 1998.
Bastard!! is one of Shueisha’s best-selling manga series of all time, with over 30 million copies sold by 2008.
Source: Bastard Official Website