The Dragon Ball Super Broly Movie was a hit in many parts of the world. It was also one of the first Anime movies to ever hit the Indian theatres. In the movie, there’s a statement that Goku makes after the fight. This statement made fans go mad on social media discussing it. Also, it made us wonder Broly vs Beerus who would win?
Since then, fans have been speculating whether Goku was in the right here and what would happen if a Broly Vs Beerus matchup took place. Well, sorry to disappoint you Broly fans, but it seems the cat-like God of Destruction might be stronger. Read on to find out how!
Before commencing, here’s a pre-note. The entire argument will be based on the Manga and the Broly movie only. The Anime has comparatively more power scaling issues than the Manga so quoting from the Anime will be minimized. Also, this discussion will consider the Granolah arc of Dragon Ball Super Manga. Without further ado, let’s get into it!
Let’s begin with the techniques and powers the characters have in their disposal which will be relevant in this battle.
What are Broly’s key powers and abilities?
Mimicry is the ability to copy or imitate another person’s technique by seeing it once. Goku’s famous for this as he copied the Kamehameha wave from Roshi and Hakai from Beerus. It seems Broly can do the same as well. While under the influence of Goku’s God Bind or telekinesis, he was able to backfire by copying it and using it back on Goku and land a blow.
Broly’s barrier even blocked Gogeta Blue’s energy blasts. How often he could pull this off is unknown, but it’s quite an effective technique. Will it be able to Block Beerus’ Hakai blasts?
Quick in learning/Adaptive Combat ability
Broly is a monster when it comes to combat development. In about 2-3 hours, he was able to improve from “being weaker than Base Vegeta” to “match the power of Super Saiyan Blue“. When he was fighting with Vegeta, he was able to study his opponent’s moves with such high precision. So much so that he was able to take hits from Vegeta which he couldn’t a few minutes ago.
When Vegeta turned into a Super Saiyan God, he punched Broly so hard that the latter kept crashing back on mountain after mountain.
But after he unleashed the first stage of his wrathful form (where he condensed the power of the Oozaru form while keeping his humanoid self), he was able to withstand the same punch from SSG Vegeta and go one step further.
As you can see from the above image, Broly reacts and launches a counter attack even after receiving a huge blow from Gogeta.
Usually what happens is, when a Goku or a Vegeta receives a major blow from the enemy, which makes them spew out blood or saliva, they won’t be able to move for a while. But Broly is such a prodigal fighter that his recoil time is very less compared to others. That is why he’s able to survive even after mind-blowing attacks like the Stardust Breaker. Broly’s endurance and will to fight might give Beerus a run for his money.
Broly also has transformations, but that’ll be explained in another article.
When a person is on the brink of death and then heals up later on, he gets a permanent power boost. This ability is exclusive to the Saiyan race. These power-ups take place on a wide range in the number line, depending on how close you are to death.
In the Namek Saga, Goku’s full power in base form was at 90,000. Post Ginyu battle, his recovery from his severe injuries increased his base power to a whopping 3,000,000! It’s because of the Zenkai boosts that Saiyans get insanely powerful when they fight, compared to other races. Broly has the same ability. It could be even stronger for him.
What are Beerus’s key powers and abilities?
Being a God of Destruction, it’s obvious he has gained quite a mastery over Hakai. It’s the G.O.D’s signature move. With Hakai, Beerus can destroy almost anything. From little rocks to an entire Universe. Want to know more about Hakai? Click here!
Ultra Instinct (imperfect)
There’s some confusion on the Internet about whether Beerus has Ultra Instinct or not. In chapter 28, Whis said, “Beerus’ body can sense attacks and make decisions on its own to dodge them”. This is basically Ultra Instinct.
Furthermore, Whis has mentioned twice that “Even Lord Beerus hasn’t mastered Ultra Instinct”. This practically means he can use the technique (and why wouldn’t he? He’s been training under Whis for millions of years.) But hasn’t mastered it yet.
From the looks of it, he can use it in his base form without the need to transform. And his movements are pretty fast, given how he was able to dodge almost all of the Destroyer Gods’ attacks.
This is not openly revealed in the Manga but it is in a subtle way. After Future Trunk’s timeline got erased and brought back later on, Supreme Kai tells Trunks to contact Beerus in his timeline to eradicate Zamasu. But the corrupted Kai is immortal, so how’d Beerus do it? Whis answers that he and Beerus possess a sealing technique much better than the Mafuba.
However, off-camera, Beerus did use this technique to seal away the Old Kai in the Z-Sword some 75 million years ago. And Old Kai was stuck in there until Gohan broke the sword a few years ago. Breaking the Z-Sword is much harder than breaking the seal of the Mafuba (even Pilaf could do it). So the Gods’ technique is superior.
Hence, after understanding each of the combatant’s powers, we can finally address the elephant in the room.
Broly Vs Beerus | Who Would Win?
By considering all factors, Beerus will WIN by a huge margin. Now some of you might be thinking “Wait what??? At the beginning of this article, you quoted Goku by saying Broly is probably stronger than Beerus. Why this change over?? You’re a Beerus worshipper for sure” Chotto matte kudasai, let me explain!
The words ‘strong’, ‘power’ or ‘strength’ are used a lot in Dragon Ball and they convey a vague meaning. Toriyama clearly differentiates between physical strength and Ki strength. So when a character says X is stronger than Y, we need to analyze it further and do a similar differentiation. Also, it is important to note Who said it and when was it said.
If any character makes a power-level comparison related statement, he/she should be well knowledgeable about the subject matter. Also, he should know in full, the powers of the people considered in the comparison.
Broly Vs Beerus – Comparing their physical strengths
So when Goku said Broly may be stronger than Beerus, two things come to mind:
- Goku hasn’t seen Beerus’ Hakai in full strength. One can argue by saying “Goku has seen Beerus go all out in the Battle of the Destroyers” I feel Beerus and the others had the mindset of “Do your best but don’t go on a killer mode”. So we can interpret this as “They did go all out in a competitive/ rivalry spirit” But not all out on a murderous rampage. Even Belmod faked being KO’d and didn’t need healing after the fight. This shows he didn’t give his all.
- Goku might be referring to only physical strength and not overall strength or considering all factors.
Even a promotional material from Saikyo Jump hints at the possibility that “Broly’s destructive power is greater than a God of Destruction”
Continuing this line of thought, Broly may be physically stronger than Beerus. Broly is a monster when it comes to brute strength. He doesn’t have many techniques at his disposal but his raw power does compensate for that. At least against Goku and Vegeta. But with Beerus, it’s a different ball game.
Brute strength isn’t everything. Ultimate Super Saiyan Trunks may have been physically stronger than Perfect Cell but, the Saiyan got overpowered because he was slow and his stamina was draining fast.
Therefore, you can’t win every fight with raw power. Battles are won with skills and techniques and Beerus clearly has the upper hand in that department. Broly may have quite the destructive capabilities but, it isn’t at the level of Beerus’ Hakai.
Broly Vs Beerus – Comparing their techniques and speed
- The level of Hakai Beerus has is very VERY high. And Hakai is such a powerful move. That’s why he was bold enough to think that the G.O.D’s signature move is stronger than Angel techniques. He may be overshooting a bit, but he’s not far away from the truth. He can literally destroy a Universe without much effort. This is shown when Beerus and Champa were sparring against each other. On the contrary, Broly may not be a Universe buster as of now.
- Beerus’ Ultra Instinct can dodge the most powerful of beings like the Gods of Destruction. In terms of speed, Broly is at the short end of the stick. Yes, he didn’t lose his speed when he condensed the Oozaru form’s power but, Ultra Instinct is on a whole other level. Broly cannot achieve UI cause’ his uncontrollable anger won’t let him.
- Broly’s main power comes from his brute strength. It seems the more he receives damage, the stronger he becomes. The more he fights (especially with stronger opponents) the faster his growth in combat abilities. However, Beerus is short-tempered and usually wants to wrap things up quickly. He could achieve that by Hakai-ng him.
- The Legendary Super Saiyan also has the ability to copy and learn techniques from seeing them once. When he fights with Beerus, what if he learns the Hakai? If Goku could do it, why not Broly?
- Let’s say during the battle Broly does indeed learn how to do Hakai. If he uses it, Beerus might receive some damage. But he’ll quickly sense that Broly is a dangerous being. If he’s let loose, it could be difficult to kill him after a certain point. Beerus is more of a “Finish the job ASAP so that I can eat/sleep” kinda guy. He won’t stall around like Goku. If he smells trouble, he’d use Hakai and go for a nap.
- The energy of destruction covering his body acts as a shield that can nullify regular Ki based attacks. Broly has only regular Ki at his disposal, which is very different from God Ki. If those attacks pass through, Beerus could nullify those. But given Broly’s insane amount of strength in his Ki attacks, Beerus might struggle at first but he’ll eventually wear them off.
- Broly can use his full-powered Legendary Super Saiyan state and charge against Beerus. But that still won’t be enough. In the Dragon Ball Super Broly Light Novel, it is mentioned that when Broly receives damage in his full-powered LSSJ state up to a certain point, he will revert to his initial Legendary Super Saiyan form with a golden-haired state. Beerus with his Hakai based attacks can cause considerable damage on Broly to make this happen.
Broly’s monstrous power could be his own undoing
While watching Broly charging up in anger, Paragus’ starts sweating and says the following:
If Broly cannot keep his anger under check, his power keeps rising exponentially. If that happens, he’ll reach a point where his power will get into his head, thereby losing control over it. That power could explode from within, killing him in an instant.
Broly’s such a prodigal fighter. When considering raw power, Broly can bring a God of Destruction to his knees. But the aspect which changes this outcome is the Hakai. The Granolah arc emphasizes the power of Hakai a lot. Beerus’ Hakai is so OP that it will render Broly’s Ki-based attacks useless and could kill him. In hindsight, if nothing else works, Beerus can just use his sealing technique and lock him up for millennia. In other words, if Broly Vs Beerus happens and is a fight to the death, Beerus will rise as the victor.
However, don’t forget Broly’s huge potential and latent abilities. His adaptive skills took him from “weaker than Base Vegeta” to “on par with a Super Saiyan Blue” within a span of 2-3 hours. Goku and Vegeta took years of training to achieve this level. Imagine if Broly learns how to control his anger by training under Whis or Beerus and learns how to do Hakai. If he regularly spars with Beerus or Whis, his overall power and skills could surpass Beerus within a couple of years. Broly could be the strongest in the entire Universe (even including the Gods). Broly is OP. All Heil Broly!
What do think? In Broly vs Beerus,Is Beerus stronger than Broly? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!